French Canadians in Community in Alburgh Vt.

This forum contains posts with questions & answers related to specific surnames.

French Canadians in Community in Alburgh Vt.

Postby RobertAbair, Jr.-902 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:07 pm

My gg pa Philip Abair (Hebert) and gg ma Josephine (Mayo) Abair lived with their 5 children in Alburgh Vt. He work on the Vt RR. I have always wondered what French Canadian life was like in small enclaves like Alburgh. Does anyone on this forum have family in the Champlain area who may know of French Canadian life in Alburgh or surrounding cities circa 1850 to 1900?
RobertAbair, Jr.-902

Re: French Canadians in Community in Alburgh Vt.

Postby SheilaMorris-417 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:55 pm

I grew up in Alburgh - back when it was a lovely bustling little town with 5 sets of tracks and a busy railroad station. There was a "round house" to turn the trains around. There was a YMCA where the railroad men stayed when they were away from home. There were a couple of good restaurants with good home cooked food. What a great place to grow up!
My French ancestors were successful farmers as most of Alburgh was. Everyone else worked on the railroad or owned stores. I remember lots of the old families. I remember Wilfred Mayo who worked on the railroad. I don't remember any Heberts or Abairs. Most of the old families were French and came in late 1800's. Bourgeois, Aubin, Prairie, Duchenes, Chauncey, Valley, Motte, Pearo, Langlois, Poquette. etc. I can tell you where most people lived. My father was an English Canadian and owned an excavating business. Maybe I can answer some of your questions. My e-mail address is smorris52@aol.com
SheilaMorris-417

Return to Surname Research