Amos Douglass

This forum contains posts with questions & answers related to specific surnames.

Amos Douglass

Postby MichaelDensmore-1065 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:22 am

I have a dead end in one of my lines. I have traced the line back to Enos Douglas(s) Sr in Shelburne VT. I have a copy of his death certificate, census records and his obituary. He married Lucy Tatro (Tetrault) in Vermont after he arrived. I haven't found his marriage certificate or newspaper notice of the marriage yet. It's on my to-do list for a trip to the Burlington area. The dead end, however, are his parents, Amos and Lucy. The only reference to them that I have found is in Enos' death certificate and obituary. I am assuming that Amos is a Scot from Upper Canada, although I believe there were English towns in Lower Canada as well. This is the text of the obituary. The death certificate has the same information, probably from the same informant.

The obituary for Enos Douglas was published in the Burlington Free Press, 25-April-1902 with the headline: Enos Douglas, an Almost Life-Long Resident of Shelburne. The text:
"Enos Douglas died at the home of his daughter, Mrs. W. C. Stevens, at 103 South Winooski Avenue yesterday about noon in the 86th year of his age. Death was due to a general breaking down of the system incidental to old age. He is survived by two sons, Enos Douglas of Shelburne and Charles Douglas of this city, besides two daughters, Mrs. Lucy Basford of Crandon, South Dakota, and Mrs. W. C. Stevens of this city, with whom he has resided for the past four years.
"Mr. Douglas was born in Canada, a son of Amos Douglas, who removed to Shelburne while he was still a child, and in that town nearly all of his life was spent. He married there 64 years ago Lucy Tatro, who died some four years since. He early learned the carpenter's trade and followed that occupation until obliged to give up on account of increasing years. Mr. Douglas was possessed of unquestioned integrity and was always a man of marked industry. He remained bright and active almost to the last and events that happened 60 or 70 years ago were remarkably fresh in his mind.
"The funeral will be held from Mrs. Steven's home this afternoon at 1:30 o'clock, conducted by the Rev. Junius E. Mead. The burial will be made in the cemetery at Shelburne village."

Mike
MichaelDensmore-1065

Re: Amos Douglass

Postby EdwardMcGuire-264 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 3:21 pm

Hello, Mike:

I was reading your post again and wondered if you were able to find anything out about Enos's parents from his and Lucy's Civil War Pension Records? He received a pension for his service in the artillery and Lucy kept receiving it for many years after his death.

BTW, if you haven't obtained the entire record yet we've had members work with a researcher in RI who is very good.

Best regards, Ed McGuire
EdwardMcGuire-264

Return to Surname Research