Kelley's from Bradford

This forum contains posts with questions & answers related to specific surnames.

Kelley's from Bradford

Postby SteveGrabowski-1123 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:40 am

My wife and I are planning a trip to the Bradford Barre area in mid August. I would like to locate the burial sites and possibly some information on Nelson FM Kelley (great grandfather) b:1856 Bradford area d: June 22,1902 Bradford and his father James W Kelley(great,great grandfather) b;1830-31 Bradford d;May 11,1898. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
SteveGrabowski-1123

Re: Kelley's from Bradford

Postby EdwardMcGuire-264 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:57 pm

Hi, Steve: Welcome to our Society!! Thanks for using our Forums.

Glad to hear you are visiting Vermont next month. To assist with your research I have pulled together some areas of possible interest.

The best places to search for information on the gravesites & family history are in Bradford at the Public Libary, the Town Hall and the Bradford Historical Society.
By the way, this is the 250th anniversary of Bradford's founding and the celebration will be on 26 September.

1) The phone number for the town clerk (Marianne McClure) is: 802-222-4727 and the website is: clerk@bradford-vt.us
(Hours: Monday-Thursday 8:30a.m.-4:30p.m. Friday 9:00a.m.- noon)

2) Historical Society: (802) 222-4423 President is Larry Coffin. Society Museum is open Friday 10 AM to Noon
I called Larry and he said that the society bought two paintings of a Kelley family (likely your people) done in 1847. Larry said he has personally done some research on the Kelley's. He asked that you contact him at lccoffin@charter.net to let him know when you and your wife will be there.

3) The Public Library's website is: bradfordvtlibrary.org/ and their phone number is: (802) 222-4536
(hours are posted on the website but it is a good idea to check in August in case their hour reduced summer hours)

4) I checked our Catholic Baptisms & Marriages and did not find any entries for Nelson or James. W. Kelley but there was no Catholic parish there until 1945.

5) We have a book at our library, "A History of Bradford Vermont" by Rev. McKeen written about 1876 and it lists a James W. Kelley as serving in the Civil War from Bradford in both the 1st Vermont Infantry and the 12th Vermont Infantry during two enlistments. You can find this book free online at Google Play. See pages 101 & 109 or do a CTRL-F and search for the surname.

6) Using Ancestry.com at our library turns up several documents related to his Civil War Service including his draft card and enlistments. He entered first as a corporal in 1861 and later as a 2d Lt. in 1862. He was promoted in March of 1863 to 1st Lt. and mustered out later in 1863 at Brattleboro, VT.

Ancestry also had a reference to pension records. James filed in 1890 - Application # 767586 and Cerificate #524999. Sarah filed a widow's pension under Application # 676771. You can access some of these records on Fold3.com. (They have a 7-day free trial). These documents usually have tons of family information and it is well worth ordering the entire packet. NARA in D.C. has the records but are understaffed, They list "Independent Researchers" that can be hired. In their list is Bruce Frail of American Civil War Ancestors at http://www.acwancestor.org. For less than $85 you can get 75-200 pages of records by email or CD. Cheaper and more thorough than NARA and MUCH faster. We've used Bruce and he delivers.

7) At FamilySearch.org you can find some of the birth, marriage and death records associated with James W. and Nelson Kelley. Includes key dates and spouses' names. Nelson's wife was Carrie E. Pierce and James W. was married to Sarah B. Martin. Looked like Nelson was married in 1874 to Rose Dexter and in 1881 to Carrie. Records of both marriages are available at FamilySearch.org, too. Death card for James W. lists father as Benjamin and mother as Anna Bailey.

Good luck on your search and stop by our library in Colchester if you can.

Regards, Ed
EdwardMcGuire-264

Re: Kelley's from Bradford

Postby SteveGrabowski-1123 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:28 pm

Ed,
Thank You so much for the information on my family from Bradford: My wife and I will be in Barre on August 17th staying two nights and leaving on August 19th. I really want to locate the burial sites for James W and Nelson FM Kelley and any other information I can obtain while in Bradford.Barre.
Thank You again
Steve Grabowski
SteveGrabowski-1123

Return to Surname Research