MARTIN/MARTELL/MARTEL VT

This forum contains posts with questions & answers related to specific surnames.

MARTIN/MARTELL/MARTEL VT

Postby AndreaMartell-1132 » Sat Sep 05, 2015 7:19 pm

Hello,

I'm looking for a ghost.

His name was Charles MARTELL. He was born around 1861 (according to marriage certificate and census of 1891). In 1889, he married an Ojibwa woman named Marguerite COMMANDA in Sturgeon Falls, Ontario.

According to the marriage certificate Charles MARTELL was 28, a Methodist, and his parents were "Frank and Mary MARTELL" and he was from Vermont. He lived on the Beaucage Indian Reserve up until 1898 at least when the couple divorced. He then disappears from the records. We believe he may have had a second family.

I'm searching for his birth records and his death records and any census records. He would have been born around 1861. I've scoured everything on Ancestry.com and FamilySearch.org. I must be missing an important piece of information someone from Vermont would likely know.

Based on Ancestry DNA my surname interest are MARTIN/MARTELL/MARTEL. Based on 4th-6th cousin matches at Ancestry DNA I believe our Charles Martell may have been a grandson of Charles Martin and Mary Martin also known as Charles Martel dit Martin (1813-1893) and Mary Archange Emery dite Coderre (1814-1885). This Charles and Mary had three children in Quebec before leaving for Highgate. Mary (1835). She married Louis Cassista dit Castor. Charles Martel jr (1836). I've seen him on an 1850 Census but I do not know his fate. Narcisse Martel (born August 1838). On the 1850 Census in Highgate, Narcisse is gone but there is a Francis born in the same year. I'd like to know what happened to him during the civil war as well.

If anyone is descended from Charles Martel dit Martin and Marie Archange Emery dit Coderre, I've started collecting all the information I can from Drouin. I cannot find their original marriage certificate from 1835, but I do have their baptismal certificates transcribed and translated, and those of the children born in Quebec as well.

Thank you for your time,

Andrea
AndreaMartell-1132

Return to Surname Research