CAYEA, ROSS, FALCON

This forum contains posts with questions & answers related to specific surnames.

CAYEA, ROSS, FALCON

Postby SharonKlenotiz-1150 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:56 pm

Hi there,

I am searching for James (Aime) CAYEA (1834-1873) and his wife Julia FALCON (1832-1912). He died in Winooski but can't find what cemetery and I just found Julia in Canada (Toronto)! I believe his parents were Joseph Cayea (Caya) and Margaret Belleville but that's all I have. Julia's parents I think were Pierre Falcon and Julia Guerin both of Canada. For years this is as far as I can get. James and Julia had many children, one of them was James Emmett who was my g/g/g grandfather. He was a railroad conductor first in Burlington then Amsterdam NY. James Emmett married Sarah Margaret Ross of Burlington. Her father was John Ross and mother was Sarah Hubbard (first married to a Dr Lucius Hubbard). I think. It gets confusing. Any help, suggestions I would greatly appreciate.
Thanks!!!!
SharonKlenotiz-1150

Re: CAYEA, ROSS, FALCON

Postby EdwardMcGuire-264 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:44 pm

Hi, Sharon. I took a quick look at the records and found the following in the US & Canadian Census so far:

1850 James 'Caya', age 15, in Champlain, NY (parents Jos & Marguerite)
1860 Did not find him (yet)
1870 James Cayea married w/ 5 kids in Chateaugay, NY, birth of James & Julia = Canada
1880 James & Julia in Burlington, VT w/ James/William/Nellie (20, 17, 13 yrs)
1900 Julia in Burlington, VT w/ Joseph & Nellie Lavoie
1911 Julia (Canadian Census) in Toronto West w/ Joseph & Helen Lavoie, their dau Julia Moss at age 77
1912 Death year listed on FindAGrave stone in Mount Hope Cemetery, Toronto.

Julia Cayea, "widow of James" shows up in 5 or more city directories for Burlington.

Do you have a date for when James died in Winooski? 1900 Census lists Julia as "married" not "widowed"

Ed
EdwardMcGuire-264

Re: CAYEA, ROSS, FALCON

Postby SharonKlenotiz-1150 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:49 pm

Hi Edward,

Thanks for looking. This family is very confusing. The story is Julia was a native American and married James. James died Mar 17, 1873 in Winooski. I have that info but can't find where he's buried. Julia is buried in Canada and the plot is owned by strangers who are buried next to her!!! She lived in Canada for 2 yrs with her daughter and son-in-law then when she passed they moved back to VT!!! Strange. She is the only family buried in Montreal too.
I did notice in census she always said married whch is odd.
We used to have a drumhead that supposedly came from Julia but my sisters sold it for money. I only have a photo of it. I also have some of her clothes and a few photos. Using the familysearch site, I may have found her family but if this is them, she is not native american. I also have a photo of a grave that I was always told, find this grave and you will find the "Indian Lady". So now I have found her but it is NOT by any means the photo. Another mystery.
I am coming to NY in the Spring to do research so maybe I will get lucky.
Again thanks for the help, I take all I can get.
Sharon
SharonKlenotiz-1150

Return to Surname Research