Pete Jennings (#693)

This forum allows members to introduce themselves and the surnames they are interested in.

Pete Jennings (#693)

Postby PeteJennings-693 » Mon May 06, 2013 1:13 pm

Hi and thanks for setting up a VT-FCGS message board. I don't know that it will get high traffic, but perhaps people doing their research years from now will run across it and find some hints from others' research.

I have been in the VT-FCGS for several years, and I have found it helpful particularly with the Burlington Diocese parish records. I wish every diocese had a similar project. I have done about 10 packages of data entry on baptisms for John Fisher, and he is probably wondering when I'll do another one.

I was raised in Windsor, Conn. but both parents came from Vermont and practically all my relatives lived there. Like many descendants of Vermont parents, I do have a French Canadian line -- the JOYAL line of my mother's father. I corresponded with Dennis Joyal of the ACGS and we determined that we are 9th cousins in this line. Imagine knowing a living 9th cousin.

I have not researched the Joyals in depth as yet, but have been focusing on my Irish lines. With some help from VT-FCGS and others, I was able to identify the townland of origin for four lines of ancestry of original 1850s immigrants from western Ireland to the US:

GALLAGHER - Clontinty, Glanworth, Co. Cork
KILGALLEN - Rathredmond, Co. Mayo
LARNER - Carnoneen (modern Lackagh), Co. Galway
QUILTY - Ballybrown, Rathkeale, Co. Limerick (also associated with HARRINGTON family of Ballynamucky townland also not far from Rathkeale)

Prior to the early 1800s there is not much you can do on the Irish, but I have about 300 pages of notes on these lines and their descendants through the mid 20th century. Anyone interested is welcome to read them.

I have some other Irish lines on my mom's side I have not researched as yet. These include LYNCH and COGLEY I believe of Co. Clare.

Then there are the JENNINGS and GITCHELL lines that go back to colonial New England and are probably English origin. JENNINGS can trace to the Mayflower (Richard Warren). I have left these lines for others to research in detail.
PeteJennings-693

Return to Introductions