Ruth Alarie Ring

This forum allows members to introduce themselves and the surnames they are interested in.

Ruth Alarie Ring

Postby RuthARing-1039 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:34 pm

Hi, I was born and grew up in Burlington (graduated from BHS), spent a couple of years in the Montpelier/Barre area. Joined the Army in 1978, did a lot of traveling, and retired from the Army in 2003. Lived in New Mexico, Michigan, Kansas after that. Now I'm living in Cookeville, TN. Part of me is still drawn to living in Vermont. If it were not for the cold dreary winters, I would be back there in a heartbeat. :-) Who knows, I could end up there someday. It would be nice to be physically closer to be able to research my ancestors from Vermont and Quebec (plus be closer to some of my family). Hopefully this organization will provide some of what I'm looking for in that regard. I'm looking forward to being a part of this organization. Thank you. Ruth (Alarie) Ring
RuthARing-1039

Re: Ruth Alarie Ring

Postby ThomasWheel-985 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:20 am

Welcome, I am retired from DoD as a civilian and also from the US Army Reserve. Thank you for your service.

Actually, researching Vermont and Quebec ancestors is easier now for those of us that are away from Burlington, albeit the Society's library is awesome. I suggest that you register with FamilySerarch.org (it's free) and use their Family Tree project for your work. I do. That gains you several things: collaboration with other researchers on the same family, access to all of the Quebec parish register microfilm records online, and access to most Vermont vital records. The later includes all Burlington birth records from about 1903 to 1930 and all the marriage and death records. The equivalent records are available for most Vermont towns. The State of Vermont data that is included goes back to Civil War time. The town and city records do not appear in the query system unless they have been indexed and few have been. But I usually have the date and not proof of the record. So I simply look it up. This allows me to attach the original record to the person. You find these through the Collections feature under "Vermont, Town Clerk, Vital and Town Records, 1732-2005, Chittenden, Burlington" for example.

For illustration of what can be done, check out ID# L8CF-TSW for a Burlington person and ID# L7P1-FJF for a Quebec person. If you decide to use this website, feel free to ask me any questions about finding things. I have been on it for a couple of years now.
ThomasWheel-985

Re: Ruth Alarie Ring

Postby rring54 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:08 am

Thanks Thomas. I just now saw your reply. I am a member of the Family Search site, and in fact do volunteer indexing for them. I will check out the areas you mentioned.
rring54

Return to Introductions