DNA Testing and my Craig Ancestry

DNA Testing and my Craig Ancestry

Postby BillCraig-836 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:44 pm

I wanted to further investigate my Craig family heritage using DNA tests. Thanks to the kind help of my friends at the Vermont Genealogy Library, a lot of web searching and a wee bit of luck I am confident off my immigration ancestor, James Craig b. 23 DEC 1776 in Paisley Scotland. His father, my GGGG Grandfather, was also born in Paisley on 24 OCT 1725. Before that time the waters are murky.

The first set of tests results, a 37 marker Y-STR, came back and I signed up for the Craig surname project, http://www.worldfamilies.net/surnames/craig/ You can find my kit there, 270983. However you can not find anyone who matches most of my key STRs, in particular DYS391, DYS459, YCAII and DYS351.

Some good advice was to increase the Y-STR DNA tests to 67 markers and use the National Geographics GENO 2.0 Project to better define my haplogroup. Thirty seven markers told me I was in the R-M269 haplogroup which contains just about the entire white anglo saxon population. The 67 marker test was most worthwhile because it supplied the STR for DYS531 which is key in identifying my haplogroup.

Before my GENO 2.0 results came back I received an invitation to join the Riddell group because my DYS459 markers were 9-9 and the YCAII markers were 19-19, indicators of the Riddell group. After joining I began to get some insight into my family roots beyond the genealogical time frame. I believe this relationship dated to the times before surnames came into common usage in Scotland.

When the GENO 2.0 test came back I found my haplogroup was R-L21 Plus and was recruited by the R-L21Plus project, http://www.familytreedna.com/public/R-L21/ . Richard Stevens, the R-L21Plus group administrator, proved to be extremely helpful. If you look at the homepage of the above web link you will see the R1b-L21 Phylogenetic Tree and how far it is from R-M269. My tests for L21 and DF13 where both positive. Below DF13 there are multiple subclades many of which have been tested by the GENO 2.0 test. Richard knew exactly which ones required no further testing. I did the necessary remaining SNP testing and found that I do not belong to any of the subclades! But I am not alone.

For someone to be related to me they MUST be in the R-L21Plus Haplogroup and must be in the DF13+ group. If they do not satisfy this requirement they can NOT be related to me regardless of the Y-STR matches. There about 3,000 people in this group and 3 Craigs including myself. The Y-STR of the other two really do not match. So Craig is not common in this group.

So who are my relatives, not the Craigs but surnames like Scott, Riddell, Porteous, Porter, Dundas and more! Mike Wallace, co-admin of the R-L21Plus project did some great detective work and determined that the key Y-STRs are:

DYS391 = 10
DYS459 = 9-9
YCAII = 19-19
DYS531 = 9

Further this group has been assigned a number 13-9919-B for research purposes but the SNP that defines this group has not yet been identified.

I have a 2 step mismatch at 67 markers with a Mr. Gene Scott who also belongs to the 13-9919-B group. He is struggling to find his heritage in Europe. His ancestors came from Ireland in the early 1700s and his family history has it they were Scot-Irish having left Scotland for Ireland in the 1600s.

Did this DNA testing help? Yes, it has given me insight into which avenues of research to pursue and which to discard. At first I thought my ancestors were from the highlands but not so. They were located around Glasgow and the 1888 census of Scotland showed the highest percent density of Craig surname was centered about Glasgow. Now all I have to do just keep looking at the Craig ancestry problem and make what progress I can.
BillCraig-836

Return to DNA Research