National Geographic Geno 2.0 Participants

National Geographic Geno 2.0 Participants

Postby BillCraig-836 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:06 pm

Has any member had experience with the Geno or Geno 2.0 project? I realize that this is anthropological DNA testing vs the Genealogical DNA testing that would be of more interest but FamilyTreeDNA.com suggested it as the most economical means of determining SNPs and deep subclade testing. My results should be back in 6 to 8 weeks.

Bill
BillCraig-836

Re: National Geographic Geno 2.0 Participants

Postby EdwardMcGuire-264 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:36 pm

Bill, I have not used Geno 2.0. I was wondering if your results had come back and what you thought of them?
EdwardMcGuire-264

Postby BillCraig-836 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:58 pm

Ed,

I have one more SNP being tested by FTDNA and with that result will have the best story possible. We can discuss the results in this forum but let's wait until you give your DNA talk at the Fall Conference. By doing so members will have a better understanding of DNA results.

Bill
BillCraig-836

Postby MarnaMurray-953 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:52 am

Yes, I completed this type of DNA testing quite a number of years ago. The data received was less helpful than anticipated. I am curious about the new variations of DNA testing possible for a single individual, with leads to either or both medical indicators and genetics. A west coast genealogical site provides the comparison (somewhere at VTFCGS it is already posed/linked) of the various current companies involved in DNA testing. The recent VPR story (http://digital.vpr.net/post/when-dna-ta ... you-listen) of the UVM professor/class using 23 & me is also interesting. There are also quite a number of blogs/media from genetic genealogists who actually used this test or a number of tests and made the comparisons on a very personal level and used their own research on what they knew of their family history and how well the two (DNA vs. family history research) conformed or . . . or not.
MarnaMurray-953

Postby EdwardMcGuire-264 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:48 am

Hi Marna, I have not used 23andMe but from what I know about this type of testing I think it is one of the three largest testing companies for genealogical DNA analysis. The other two are FamilyTreeDNA.com and AncestryDNA.com (part of Ancestry.com). I have used both of those companies. It appears that all three are reputable companies with good labs for testing and good tools to help genealogists use the results. At our conference on the 19th of October I will be discussing my experiences with the paternal (y-DNA) and maternal (mt-DNA) tests. And in November we'll have a Saturday talk about autosomal DNA testing. Bill Craig will have information on how DNA testing and, specifically, National Geographic's new 'Geno-2.0' test has helped his research.
EdwardMcGuire-264

Return to DNA Research