Participation in the Vermont Genealogy Library Bulletin Board constitutes agreement to the following guidelines, which apply to posts, profile information, avatars, signatures, any other content on this site and participation in general. It is very unlikely that you will encounter most of the prohibited activities listed here but we enumerate them so that everyone understands what conduct is unacceptable.
Because of the live nature of the discussions on this Bulletin Board, it is not possible for us to review and/or confirm the accuracy or validity of a message before it is posted. If you believe that someone has violated our User Guidelines or you have spotted content that may otherwise require attention, please send a private message to the Administrator or the Forum Moderator with a link to the content and a brief description of what you believe is wrong. Notification is voluntary and anonymous, but in no case should a user respond to a situation personally, thereby aggravating the situation further. Responding to a violation in an inflammatory manner is also clearly unacceptable. Let us deal with any problems.
Private messages are a feature we have enabled on this website that allows members to send communications directly to another person, who may have written a post or replied, without making it public to others. Often this is used (& encouraged) when large amounts of information need to be exchanged which would be of limited interest to others. These messages can be read by Moderators or the Administrator. These staff members can & will review private messages when a problem has been brought to them about a private message or they suspect violations of our guidelines, such as harassing conduct, illegal activity or copyright violations, are occurring on our site. Any content that violates our User Guidelines will be removed.
Here are our User Guidelines:
1. Each user is allowed to create one account.
2. Do not post personal, real-life information such as home addresses and home phone numbers.
3. Vulgar language and inappropriate material is not allowed and will be removed. We try to maintain a family friendly atmosphere whenever it is possible within the main subject matter of this Bulletin Board. Please keep this in mind when participating.
4. As this is an English-speaking Bulletin Board, we require that posted content be in the English language, so that it can be understood and properly monitored. This means that the main body of a posting must be in English but short phrases, words or quotations in another language are permitted.
5. Posts that discuss illegal activities, transactions, or websites will be removed. This includes the posting of information that you have obtained illegally.
6. Political and religious discussions are not allowed on this website. If it is believed that the end result of a discussion will be political or religious, the post may be removed. Likewise, strong political and religious sentiments should be kept out of profiles, signatures, and other content.
7. Advertisements are not allowed. Generally speaking, posts made specifically for the promotion of a website, product or service are considered advertising. This does not preclude discussing other genealogical organizations and their websites or blogs in the context of assisting other members or updating them on new developments.
8. Do not post copyrighted materials (articles, videos, audio, etc.) that you do not have permission to reproduce or distribute. For text articles, most of the time you may quote a small portion of the article (usually no more than 1/5 or 1/6) and you must link to the source (if online) or provide the source (if offline). Posting the entire article, even with the source, constitutes copyright infringement. This is also not the place to illegally trade or distribute copyrighted (or those with questionable copyright status) video or audio clips.
9. When posting and linking to images, videos, files, etc., please refrain from hot-linking. This is the direct linking to images (.jpg, .jpeg, .gif, .png, etc.), video (.avi, .mov, .mpg, .mpeg, .wmv, etc.), audio (.mp3, .wav, etc.), archives (.zip, .rar, etc.) or otherwise downloadable or streamable files, on servers that you do not have permission to link to, instead of linking to the page where the item can be found. This includes providing a direct link to the file, even if that file is not embedded into your post. This practice costs the server owner money and resources.
10. Respecting fellow members is important. Please refrain from inflammatory and defamatory comments as well as flaming, taunting, and general disrespect. Do not simply put down the opinion or advice given by others. If you don't agree with it, say why - respectfully. Do not make uninvited remarks about typos, duplicate posts, posting styles, etc.
11. If you choose to use a signature they are limited to 3 lines of text. This includes blank lines. No images. The text in the signature may be customized by the BBCode in use on the forums.
12. When posting your topic, please try to post it in the most appropriate place within the organizational structure of our Bulletin Board. Do not place the same post in multiple forums. Do not post using all uppercase letters, except for surnames.
13. We know that people will have to leave our Bulletin Board (of their own free will or otherwise) from time to time and to that end, we do not delete accounts, posts, or other content posted on our community. All content is granted to this site with perpetual electronic publishing rights because any content posted on this Bulletin Board becomes a part of the Bulletin Board, even if you no longer are. You may request an item to be removed at any time, but we will decide when and if to remove content from our Bulletin Board.
14. Forum Moderators and this site's Administrator have the final say on enforcing these rules, consistent with guidance from the Board of Directors. If you have a problem, you may make a complaint to them directly and not publicly on the website. Creating threads or posts that question or reference administrative decisions or potential administrative decisions, such as post removals and thread closures, is not permitted. We are not perfect and if you feel that we have made a mistake, please privately contact a staff member and we will review the situation. If you would like a copy of your removed post so that you can adjust it and re-post, please contact us.
15. If a user violates our guidelines they run the risk of losing their account. We reserve the right to deactivate any account and to edit or remove any content.
16. Whenever you are participating in this Bulletin Board, please keep in mind that we strive to create a friendly and inviting atmosphere. So, please have fun and enjoy the forums!
Do you have a question about our User Guidelines or anything else? Do you have a suggestion? Do you want to offer feedback? Or are you experiencing some trouble with the site? No matter what it is, please do not hesitate to contact us & we will be glad to help in any way that we can.
Thank you for visiting the Vermont Genealogy Library Bulletin Boards and taking the time to read these User Guidelines.