J. Homer Messier in Vermont/New Hampshire

This forum contains posts with questions & answers related to specific surnames.

J. Homer Messier in Vermont/New Hampshire

Postby JoanneCrawford-930 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:25 am

Homer Messier was the son of Prosper J. Messier. I know that he was born in Franklin, Vermont in 1867 and was married to Carrie but that is all I have found.
JoanneCrawford-930

Re: J. Homer Messier in Vermont/New Hampshire

Postby EdwardMcGuire-264 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:39 pm

Joanne, in VT Vital Records there is a record of the birth of a Prosper MESSIER, on 23 March 1881, in Franklin, VT. His father is named Proper and mother is named Flora. Both have birthplaces listed as "Canada." It is possible that this is the person you are searching even though the dates are off by 14 years.

There is also a record of the marriage of Prosper MESSIER, JR, to Pricilla GIRARD, in Franklin on 15 June 1903. (I would check the date on our microfilm as the online image is very faded and the transcription may be incorrect.)
EdwardMcGuire-264

Postby TomDeVarney-441 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:16 pm

Hi Joanne. If you have Ancestry.com check out US census records using Prosper for given name, Vermont for state and Franklin for city. The name is Prosper Macia in 1860, Marcia in 1870, Massia in 1880 and Messier in 1900. In 1850 he is listed as Caesar Macca. It should have been Macea. If you do not have Ancstry, try Family search.org . The search name may be different but results check for simmilar sounding names if exact spelling is not used. This Prosper is born around 1832, possibly the son of Charles from the 1850 Census. There are several other 'Messier' families living nearby found on the same census pages listed above.
TomDeVarney-441

Postby TomDeVarney-441 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:36 am

Hi Joanne,

Further research found that Prosper Messier son of Jean Baptiste Messier and Amelie St-Louis of Franklin , Vt married Flavie Messier daughter of Charles Messier and Amelia Benoit at the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary church in Swanton VT on 17 May 1859.

Tom DeVarney
TomDeVarney-441

Postby JoanneCrawford-930 » Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:13 am

I have discovered that J.Homer Messier was son of Prosper Messier Sr. and brother to Prosper Messier Jr. I have not found any children for Homer and Carrie but did find that they moved to Middleton, New Hampshire from Franklin, Vermont. I have used Ancestory and Family Search but both have no further info. I went to the cemetery where Prosper Sr is buried and his name is Macia on his head stone. It is also very sad because his wife's name is on the head stone but I found out from family that when she died in Connecticut, they never brought her body back to Vermont to bury with her husband.

Thank you for your help.
JoanneCrawford-930

Return to Surname Research